A few days ago, I downloaded the FDA's MAUDE "raw" data-set (located here). I do this a few times per month, and today I noticed that at least part of the data-set is corrupt. I won't go into the gory details, but some of the 2018 data seems to have been mistakenly vaporized from the current data-set.
While, I was trying to figure out what was corrupted, I ran a test search using the FDA's MAUDE search-engine (located here).
I searched for the word veritas and I got ZERO results.
Now, I KNOW there are reports in MAUDE involving the veritas collagen matrix because I've run the search before, so when I got ZERO results, I knew that not only were the "raw" data-files corrupt, but something was also corrupt with the FDA's live search-engine.
As I was writing my email to the FDA, I started to tell them that their error was NOT ONLY with the "raw" data-set, but their search-engine was corrupted, too!
Then I decided that I should take a screenshot of my search results just in case they thought I was crazy.
So, I re-ran the veritas search.
But this time, when I ran it, I got 62 RESULTS! See pic below. I started to think, "Maybe I am going crazy. Maybe I punched in the wrong search term, or maybe I selected an incorrect parameter."
But then, I ran the search again (2 minutes later), and I got 64 RESULTS!
Approximately 1 hour later, and we are up to 145 results.
So...just in case this is confusing....
- The FDA is correcting errors on its production database.
- In the middle of the day.
- On a Friday.
- And they're doing all of this while the search-engine is LIVE.
- I can tell because I'm watching it happen in real time.
To the database and software-dev people out there, that is some cowboy stuff.